Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pensacola Marathon Relay : Killer Bees

Today my team the "Killer Bees" ran the Pensacola Marathon Relay.  The original team was tweaked a bit. I received word Friday that a team member may not be able to participate in the race, leaving me almost NO notice to find a replacement. I racked my brain to think of who I could ask to participate and Kelly came to mind.  I called and texted her and told her it was NOT set in stone just yet but I would for sure let her know Friday night, or sometime Saturday.  Amanda and I had training in Marianna on Saturday and was not able to get to our cell phones all day. By mid morning my cell phone battery died. As soon as we were done with training we got ahold of Dawn and  she let us know our 4th member had cancelled on us.  I tried to contact Kelly again with no response. I thought, "dang she probably decided not to do it after all" I knew she had been running some but NOT 5 miles or more.  I had it in my mind that I would run the first and last leg of the race to let our team's hard work and effort not go to waste.  I arrived home and took a quick shower and hit the sack as I had been up since 4am.  Around 9:30 pm I received a phone call from Kelly. She was still in the game. I was super stoked as was my team.  I told her to meet me at my house at 5 am and we would all pool to Amanda's and ride over together to the start line.
Happy Birthday Marines:::::: 4 am rolled around and I was up and getting ready when the door bell rang. Kelly had arrived.  We headed out to Amanda's and set up at the start line.  I was nervous as was my team. I kept telling them, "all you need to do is stay above 14 min pace to avoid the sag wagan"   I am sure they were annoyed with me, but I wouldn't be my Marine self if I didn't push like I was pushed. I knew that Amanda was going to PT for her Achilles and taking antibiotics for  a toe infection. Dawn hadn't run over 6miles in a month due to shin splints and Kelly was restarting her training and was only up to a little over an hour at a time going out.  I knew the odds were against us but I had faith. I figured if I pushed and kept them motivated they would believe in themselves as much as I did in them.
I took the first leg (which I was suppose to do the last leg originally) which consisted of 7.2 miles and a lot of uphill windy length of road. Believe it or not, I felt great and the view was beautiful. I was so inspired at all the runners of all shapes and sizes out there. I had taped a slogan on my back that read "PROUD 2 B A USMC VET"  It was my way of saying "Happy Veteran's day and Happy Birthday to my beloved Corps all in one.  I received numerous taps on the back from random strangers thanking me for my service. It brought tears to my eyes. 
 

Mile 6 I was slowing down and getting a little tired but I was determined to not walk any on this Marine Corps birthday.  I rounded the corner and there was the transition area. Because I had started my NIKE app before I crossed the start line  I had actually run 7.53 miles in 1:24:28 seconds. 
 Dawn was running the second leg of 6.8 miles. The farthest she had ever run.  We hung out there until she got back as Amanda was next up. 
 
So my husband and girls showed up at this time and hung out with Amanda, Kelly and I . They were showing us support.
 
We waited for Dawn and I watched the other teams run past us and was getting nervous that she may be injured as she had told the girls before I arrived to hand off the belt that her "calves were tight" I wanted them to all have injury free fun.  We waited and waited and I got more nervous. I called her on her cell to check up on her and she said she was just around the corner.  I ran back and ran with her over the transition area. I feel that it was my job to motivate my girls as I was team captain. I don't know how effective I as in that endevear I 'm sure one day they'll tell me. Dawn ran 6.8miles today. So proud of her.
 Off Amanda went. I wasn't to worried about her because as I said before, she has an awesome stride and yes she hadn't ran over 6 miles before, I had no doubt she would succeed and rock it.  Her stride is something to envy. The pupil is surpassing the teacher.  Later she tells me "I'm beast 2" I asked her who was beast one?  she says "YOU"  lol.  I'll take it.  So on her run, Amanda sent me some funny motivating pics of her view, (motivation for her, I might add)
These guys were Marines I believe with Alice packs filled to the hilt on a march for wounded Warriors. So motivating.
 
We drove to the new transition area so Kelly could get ready. I had to pee so bad and there were NO portapotty's at the transition areas, I was a little disappointed. So for the first time ever as a runner, I squatted over a bush to pee. A little later I see my girl running up a hill and I run her in to the transition area.
She ran the farthest she has ever done 6.4 miles and did it in a wonderful time. I think I may have brainwashed her into doing a half marathon with me. I think she will only continue to get stronger as will Dawn.
Kelly started off and we all prayed for he safety as we headed toward the finish line/ mile marker 26.
We waited and waited and cheered others on.  We waited some more. I was getting this sick feeling in my stomach that she might be hurt. I headed out about a mile from marker 26.  I finally see her, limping. I run up and tell her it's ok, "go to the side walk, i'll run us in"  I text Amanda that she was hurt and that I would be flying past them to finish up, which meant that we all couldn't do it together.
I rounded the corner and gave that last mile my all. I finished and earned our medals or I should say helped earn OUR medals.  I went back to Kelly and  we walked the rest of the way back to the finish line. She wanted to complete the run no matter what  and she did it. So very proud of these girls. All of them. With time, they will all get stronger.
 
Kelly iced her knee and will be okay. Dawn came away with new knowledge for further runs and training. Amanda came away with more mental motivation to do another 10k this month and will possibly be running a 15k and half marathon with me in Feb and April, respectively.
Myself, I can say I can further attest to mental fortitude. If you believe t you can succeed it. I will continue to train and enjoy what I love.
Last set of pics is our prerace dinner minus Kelly who had to work.
 
 
 
 
 
Semper FI Marines.

No comments:

Post a Comment