Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Running Withdrawals

        So it's been since the13th of November since I ran.  I had originally wanted a couple days off due to achy shins but then I came down with a dang head cold that had me hacking up my lungs. I couldn't breathe through my nose, my head hurt from sinus pressure and I had an 80 year old smokers voice. All in all, probably just me being whimpy. LOL.  I was having severe running withdrawals but I knew I couldn't do it cause I felt overall just weak.
       I decided to go for a run today, I knew it was going to probably be causing some coughing spells but I needed it.  I took two puffs off my inhaler and headed to the trail. I thought, "just a few miles and I'll head home"
       Lo and behold I felt great except for the fact that I had to run with my mouth open to breathe and if I tried to breathe through my nose, I was snotting every where. Yep that's me, the sexy, beast princess, running with snot slinging from my nose. So, I chose to breathe with my mouth open.  I did indeed hock up my lungs for the first 3-4 miles then it settled down. I seen a bunch of squirrels and thought "oh how cute" then I seen a fox. It got me thinking.  What the hell would I do if I came across a bear?  I remembered what my friend Amie Pace said, stand still, or at least I think that's what she told me. It's been a couple of weeks since that discussion.  Then my inner being said, "girl, no, you better run cause you don't know what's out here"  Amazingly, I was making good time with that thought in mind.  Then my mind started thinking other crazy thoughts, like,  "what if someone jumped out of the woods and grabbed you, what would you do?, Would anyone know you where you were?" (I had left the spouse on the couch snoring as he has to work tonight), then I thought, hey dummy, you have a gps tracker on your phone.  I think I was getting a little paranoid after the bear thought and the sun was starting to set so it was getting darker.
     I just kept going.  I had NO intention of running 8 miles today but I let my heart guide my legs today.  My splits weren't too shabby.. Mile 1 10:34, Mile 2 9:21, Mile 3 10:29, Mile 4 11:27, Mile 5 10:51 Mile 6 11:47, Mile 7 10:58 and Mile 8 11:19   ...... AVERAGE PACE 10:52. According to the Nike app, I ran my fast 10k ever 1:06:08.  Not too bad being sick.
       I was getting cold fast, so tried to pick up the pace. Apparently my mouth was open wider than I thought as it happened... I swallowed a damn bug (total of two on the way home, but the first one really got me). It flew right into the back of my throat, which commenced the coughing and gagging and spitting like a man but I did NOT care. Another attractive thing for others to witness.. LOL
    Finished the run and the coughing and wheezing commenced but I just don't care. Sometimes you just have to GO FOR IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment