Sunday, October 6, 2013

So here I am 35 and I have been running on and off for years, but most recently in the last year started getting a little more serious about it. I decided last year that if I actually registered for a 5k race and posted on Facebook about it, then I would be forced to complete it as I didn't want to be embarrassed.  I ran my first 5k race last December, RedNoseRun and had to walk some in the race but dang it, I crossed the finish line and felt happy. Tired, sweaty and sore, yet happy. I quickly decided I was going to run a 10k. I registered for PensacolaBeachRun 10k in Jan 2013. While in the middle of my training, I came down with the flu. I was wiped out for a week or two. My husband told me "I don't think you can do it." The race had an option to choose your mileage. If you didn't feel you could do the 10k you could turn off with the 5ker's.  I had gotten my friend Melissa Walters to register with me. It was her first run.  She turned off on the 5k route and I kept going.  I walked some in that race too but I finished it in 1:18mins. I was so slow. I almost passed out in a restaurant that I had stopped at to go take a crap. (Yes, running sometimes makes me have to crap so bad that I get physically ill. Embarrassing, but I know there are other runner's out there that have experienced this.) I also threw up on the ride home. My friend Mel, was on such a runner's high. Me, I was trying not to die. I decided even after being sick after completing that 10k, I was going to go for it and register for a half marathon. So, I did.  For me, it was just a sense of accomplishment to complete these runs. I hated running in the Marine Corps. I was slow and my mental attitude sucked.  It took everything out of me to complete a 3 mile physical fitness test run.  Ironically my fastest times were in the Corps, 27:00 minute 3 miles.  I can't seem to get back to that for the life of me.  Next race was the Pensacola Double Bridge Run.  I only did the 5k but it was tough. My running partner was again my friend Melissa.  Meanwhile, I was training for the half marathon. These short 5k runs were mini motivational runs to keep me on track with the half marathon training. Incidentally, I convinced my niece who ran cross country in high school, to fly down to Florida  to run this half marathon with me. She agreed.  We were training by ourselves, her in Ohio and me in Florida.  I next registered for the Circle k 5k run. It benefits children with cerebral palsey. Something that is close to me as my eldest daughter has a mild form of CP.  I gathered a group of running partners to run this race with me from work. I enlisted, Becky Shokoohi, Dawn Pohlen, Kelly Yeagley,  and my husband Scott Sprague.  It was so cold out that morning but I was proud of my friends and husband. They completed it.  Finally the month of the half marathon rolled around. I had suffered through horrible shin splint pain, foot pain (which I refused to go get checked out for fear it was a stress fracture) and colds that tried to hinder my training. It was four months long. I was not going to let these injuries and illnesses defeat me. I was up early with my niece and headed out for the run.  Erin did great. I had hoped to complete my run in 2:45 minutes. I, did not. I ran it 3 hours and 4 minutes. Yes, I had to walk some. I was overwhelmed with thirst. I will never again run those lengthy miles without a water belt. The thirst was awful.
      Where am I today??? I took a lot of time to recover. I would run sporadically here and there over the summer months. It was too hot out for me, plus I had lost my mojo for running.  I then gained some weight and decided, I had to get back on track.  So I started picking up running again.
      I have registered for several races for the upcoming fall, winter and spring months.  Training has reminded me of just how painful running is. It hurts.
       What hurts the most: posterior shin splints, my lungs from lack of air, my calve muscles, my hips and my feet.  Why do I do it?  I do it because I need to get better.  I am doing a marathon relay with my friends, Melissa, Dawn Pohlen and Donna Domiano.  We each will run a leg of the marathon, approximately, 6.55 miles each. I had let my running maintenance get so low, that I had to work from the ground up again. I currently am running 3-4 miles at anywhere from 11:00 min pace to 12:30. I am a snail. I hate it.
       What is my goal? To pick up the pace. I know I have endurance as evidenced by the half marathon, but I need to pick up speed. I hate running so slow.
       Races I am currently  registered for: ColorRun in Mobile Alabama, next weekend..fun run
                                                                  Pensacola Marathon Relay, November 10th 2013
                                                                  Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k Feb 2014
                                                                  Gulf Coast Half Marathon April 2014.
        I plan on registering for the PBR 10k in Jan 2014 and finding a run to do in December 2013. These races are for training and motivation for that Gulf Coast Half.  I want to run a faster race. I am currently going to try my hand at some treadmill sprint workouts in hope that I can pick up the pace.
I have enlisted my friend Amanda Brown. She is running several races with me. She is a beginner runner and I watch her stride around the track and am envious at her open stride. I can't seem to get a better form.
       I am not a professional runner. I probably look like a hunched up snail running but I get out there and I do it.  I am suffering once again from shin splints, but I have invested in KT tape and compression sleeves. They seem to help. I finally am stretching after my runs too.
       Purpose of my blog, accountability and reflection for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment